HSR representatives have a vital role in workplace OHS and under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (OHS Act) their role, powers and entitlements are well recognised.
Under section 67 of the Victorian OHS Act 2004 an employer, if requested, must allow an elected HSR and elected Deputy HSR to attend a WorkSafe approved “HSR Initial OHS Training” course on paid time, pay the cost of the course and any other associated costs.
HSRs/DHSRs can choose the course they wish to attend in consultation with their employer.
RMIT University is approved to deliver the HSR Initial OHS Training Course (V3.0).
Course content includes:
• interpreting the OHS legislative framework and its relationships to the HSR and the workplace,
• identifying key parties, their legislative obligations and duties,
• establishing representation in the workplace,
• participating in consultation and issue resolution,
• representing the designated work group,
• issuing a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN) and directing the cessation of work.
This practical course is designed for HSRs and deputy HSRs. Although Managers, Supervisors, Health and safety committee members and other people involved with health and safety in the workplace may also benefit from attending.
Total course hours are 35 plus breaks.
At the end of the course, participants should:
• understand and effectively exercise their HSR power,
• gain knowledge of protections and entitlements under the OHS Act 2004,
• gain confidence, skill and knowledge to represent their designated work group.
There are no pre requisites for this course.
Participants will receive a comprehensive course manual and an official hard copy of the OHS Act 2004.
All materials are provided.
Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance on completion of the 5 days.
All trainers have a solid, detailed understanding of the Victorian OHS Act (2004), in particular all sections relevant to the purpose of HSRs and their powers, protections and entitlements.
Morning tea is provided. Students can bring their own lunch or purchase from the local restaurants.Printable course flyer