Learn how to capture those perfect food moments! In this photography course you will learn – and practice - camera angles including bird’s eye, front on and macro, lighting tricks, choosing the correct lenses, camera settings, and editing techniques for your food photos. You will practice different styles including rustic and contemporary looks, focussing on the photography techniques that get the best results. This course commences in the studio then provides the opportunity to practice using real dishes ‘on location’ at The Lincoln Hotel, Carlton.
The course will be held on location at The Lincoln Hotel, as well as in a mac computer lab.
You will learn:
• The context of food photography within the food and photographic industries
• What really happens behind the scenes
• Basic presentation and preparation skills for a shoot
• Photography kit for food – best equipment
• Cameras and lenses – how to use them
• Props on a budget
• Planning a mood board/shoot
• Basic styling and presentation
• Photography practice – The Lincoln Hotel
• Editing food shoots
• Presentation of final images to client
Food industry professionals, food lovers, bloggers, photographers, stylists. It would be suited to anyone who would like to:
• Publish photos for a restaurant/café website
• Publish their own cook book
• Create their own professional portfolio
• Publish on a food blog or social media outlet
• Explore a unique photography specialisation
• Gain insight into the food photography industry
This course will give you the basics in photographing food as well as useful editing techniques. You will take away great skills that can be used for everyday use at home and for online or publication applications such as cookbooks. Please note: the focus of this course is on the role of photographer and not the styling.
This course is suitable for a wide photography skill levels from basic through to intermediate. However, you do need to have good working knowledge of the functions of your DSLR camera, or have completed Introduction to Photography – Level 1: Technical and Aesthetic, or similar.
All relevant course materials are included.
Participants will be awarded an RMIT Statement of Participation.
Presenter - Sammy Green
Sammy’s passion is food photography and styling. Sammy is the photographer for the mouthwatering cookbook, The Middle Brighton Baths (2014), which features not only the food but also the interiors and exteriors of the building and surrounding land. Sammy enjoys working closely with chefs, owners and many restaurants and cafes to achieve the outcome for their websites, business cards and books. She has recently completed Certificate IV and the Diploma of Photo Imaging at RMIT, and is also skilled in food styling, see her work at sammygreenphotography.comPrintable course flyer